Local Style Comforts, Relax and Enjoy!
In 6 acres of native high-altitude tropical rainforest, on the boundary of forest reserve and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, five minutes from Ka’u desert. Where Windward meets Leeward.
Each unit designed and built by owner/operators Bonnie Goodell and Alan Miller, who have designed and built over a dozen cottages for local people in Volcano. Alan specializes in fine finish work of local and recycled woods. Bonnie is a planner and designer specializing in sustainability. This is a sustainable village in progress and we are proud of the comfort we provide while keeping our energy use very low!
Front porches open on our private village lane. You can park near your door. The rock garden is right in the middle, with natural (fed by rain, not pumped) mini-ponds. The bigger fish and duck ponds are on the other side of the barn – ask Bonnie when she can give you a tour.
Breakfast on your schedule.
Breakfast is served daily and is informal. The buffet in the Breakfast Lanai is ready about 6:30, but can be earlier upon request. The self-serve buffet has hot coffee, a variety of teas, orange juice, apple bananas, papayas, pineapple, and/or other local fruits in season. Cereal choices, bagels, English muffins, cinnamon swirl bread with mac nuts. Butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, local jellies. Boiled eggs.
- Wi-Fi everywhere, how fast depends on the weather, but it’s always strong in the Breakfast Lanai
- Five minutes from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and Volcano Golf Course
- 30 minutes from black sand beaches with sea turtles.
- Great restaurants located in Volcano Village and the National Park.
- Many local naturalists and artists who’ll share their work.
- The Breakfast Lanai is right next to the spa
- Greenhouse laundry center for guests to wash laundry and hang it to dry
- If you are looking for a relaxed, friendly, home style atmosphere in unusual surroundings where we work to preserve the environment, look no further!
“Just Make House” as we say in Hawaii
- Hot spa, always available, with shower and towels.
- Each unit’s kitchen has rice cooker, refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster, and traditional mis-matched utensils.
- Each unit has a TV, DVD player. The Cottage and both Twin cottages have porches and outside sinks available.
- Family, Kid, and wheelchair friendly.
- You can wash your laundry in our front loading washer and hang it in our greenhouse laundry center. Just remember that you are sharing with us and we do a lot of linens.
- We live right here, so you can borrow anything you need! We share books, umbrellas, videos, advice, local politics, cooking supplies, and our favorite walks.
- Simple breakfast materials available 24 hours a day. No schedule, no fuss.
Solar assisted hot water
- Electric mattress pads to keep you toasty at night with very low energy use
- Catchment water, from our own gutters, filtered and UV treated right here for safety and great taste.
- Openable windows
- Line-dried linens
- We are proud of comfort we provide while keeping our energy use very low.
- Forest maintenance to protect native species. We’ll show you.